My main research area is applying social psychological theories to social issues and investigating influences on behavioural change.
I’m currently working on a number of projects in social and health psychology investigating the effect of theory-based interventions used to change people’s health behaviour. My main research to date has applied self-affirmation theory to health promotion by exploring the circumstances under which self-affirmation interventions can influence health-related cognitions and behaviour and the mechanisms behind the effects.
- Harris, P. R., & Epton, T. (2010). The impact of self-affirmation on health-related cognition and health behaviour: Issues and prospects. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 4(7), 439-454.
- Harris, P. R., & Epton, T. (2009). The impact of self-affirmation on health cognition, health behaviour and other health-related responses: A narrative review. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 3(6), 962-978.
- Epton, T., & Harris, P. R. (2008). Self-affirmation promotes health behavior change. Health Psychology, 74(6), 746-752.
- Sheeran, P., Harris, P. R., & Epton, T. (2013). Does heightening risk appraisals change people’s intentions and behavior? A meta-analysis of experimental studies. Psychological Bulletin.
- Epton T., Norman P., Sheeran P., Harris P. R., Webb, T. L., Ciravegna, F., Brennan, A., Meier, P., Juious, S. A., Naughton, D., Petroczi, A., Dadzie, A. S., & Kruger, J. (2013). A theory-based online health behavior intervention for new university students: study protocol. BMC Public Health, 13, 107.
- Young, V., Eiser, C., Johnson, B., Brierley, S. Epton, T., Elliot, J., & Heller, S. (2013). Eating problems in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Diabetic Medicine, 30(2), 189-198.
- Napper L., Harris P. R., & Epton T. (2009). Developing and testing a self-affirmation manipulation. Self and Identity, 8(1), 45-62.
Manchester Centre for Health Psychology
University of Manchester
Coupland I, Coupland Street
Manchester M13 9PL
- Phone: (0) 114 22 26228